Located between Paris and Strasbourg in the heart of the Alsace - Lorraine – Champagne – Ardenne region, Meuse has an amazing mix of scenery and culture, making it well worth a visit.
Meuse is easy to get to and there is plenty to see and do once you get here. Meuse is only 1 hr from Paris, 90 mins from Strasbourg and 5¼ hrs from Bordeaux by the direct TGV Est high-speed rail link.
Meuse, facts and figures :
Area : 6,211 sq. km
Density : 31 inhabitants per sq. km
County town (“prefecture”) : Bar-le-Duc
Sub-prefectures : Verdun and Commercy
Number of towns and villages : 501
Highest point : Buisson d’Amanty (alt. 483 m)
Lowest point : outskirts of Saulx (alt. 115 m)
Walking : more than 4,500 km of safe footpaths including 800 km signposted trails
Forest : 30% of the area
Canals and navigable waterways : 250 km
Largest dam : Lac de Madine (1,100 hectares)
The Meuse, a European river 950 km in length, flows through Meuse from south to north, over a distance of almost 200 km.
Getting to Meuse by road :
It takes less than 3 hours to get to Meuse from Paris :
- Bar-le-Duc, 237 km via the RN4 road (Nancy direction)
- Verdun, 262 km via the A4 motorway or 243 km by the RN3 road.
It takes less than 3 hours to get to Meuse from Brussels (Belgium) :
- Bar-le-Duc, 313 km via the E411 motorway.
- Verdun, 256 km via the E411 motorway and N18 and N3 roads.
It takes less than 4 hours to get to Meuse from Lyon :
- Bar-le-Duc, 390 km via the A6 and A31 motorways and the N4 road.
- Verdun, 464 km via the A6 and A31 motorways and the D964 road.
For everybody’s benefit, please keep within the speed limits and take a break every two hours when travelling.
Motorway information :
Getting to Meuse by rail :
Thanks to the TGV high-speed train, you can be at Disneyland-Paris an hour after leaving the Meuse TGV railway station. For the times of trains coming to Meuse, check out the following website : Gare de Meuse TGV.
The East European high-speed train line (TGV Est Européen) stops at the Bar-le-Duc and Meuse TGV stations (30 km from Bar-le-Duc and 25 km from Verdun). From Paris, the trip takes 1 hr 40 mins to Bar-le-Duc and 1 hr to Meuse TGV.
Shuttle buses from Meuse TGV to Bar-le-Duc, Commercy and Verdun : a fare is charged for the shuttle bus. You can pay when buying your train ticket or pay the bus driver.
Regional trains to Meuse :
- Regional trains also provide a service to Bar-le-Duc. The trip lasts 2 hrs 20 mins from Paris and there are 7 services daily.
- There are also regional services to Verdun and Commercy, with connections to Châlons-en-Champagne and Bar-le-Duc respectively.
Getting to Meuse by air :
Lorraine Airport is located in Goins en Moselle (Moselle), 1 hr 12 mins from Verdun and 2 hrs from Bar-le-Duc. To save time, purchase your ticket on the Metz Nancy Lorraine Airport website.
- Getting to Meuse from the regional Metz-Nancy Lorraine Airport : 118 km to Bar-le-Duc and 108 km to Verdun.
- Paris-Orly and Paris-Roissy airports : 265 km from Verdun and 259 km from Bar-le-Duc.
- Getting to Meuse from the international Luxembourg Airport : 131 km to Verdun.