"But when from a long-distant past nothing subsists […], taste and smell alone, more fragile but more enduring, more insubstantial, more persistent, more faithful, remain poised a long time."
In Meuse, the words of Marcel Proust are given real substance. Each of our specialities reminds us of something sweet and mouthwatering ! They are filled with memories of a scent or flavour from long ago, that we keep intact, in the purest of Meuse traditions. These recipes are handed down from one generation to the next, providing something unique to share with others.
Can there be anybody who has not tasted a Commercy madeleine, a sugared almond from Verdun or a mirabelle plum from Lorraine ?
All our specialities will awaken sweet memories of times spent with family and friends.
- Mouthwatering teatimes as you bite into the inimitable pot-bellied madeleine from Commercy after carefully dipping it into a cup of hot chocolate or tea.
- Unforgettable moments in life, filled with the taste of almonds, hazelnuts, chocolate and sugar thanks to Verdun’s sugared almonds.
- Fun and laughter with friends as you down one of the great beers brewed in one of our micro-breweries
- Quality time with friends or family and a combination of tastes as you share a sweet yet sharp mirabelle plum tart not long out the oven.
- And there are plenty more local sweets to crunch such as Croquets and Rochers from Saint-Mihiel, Crottes de Satan and Baisers de Dagobert from Stenay and Lorgnons from Ligny-en-Barrois. Not forgetting the jam from Bar-le-Duc made with redcurrants deseeded with a goose quill and cakes such as the Chatelaines de Gombervaux and Jeannettes de Vaucouleurs.
Then, of course, there is our very own “black diamond”, the Meuse truffle (the famous tuber uncinatum and tuber mesentericum) with its pungent aromas of bitter almond or apricot, and, of course, the wines from the Meuse Hills, the whites, reds and greys with their clean, fresh, fruity tastes.
Let yourself be carried away in a flurry of flavours !