Henri Gutton, architect (1851-1933)
An engineer and graduate of the Ecole polytechnique, as well as a pupil at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris and founder of the East of France society of architects, he returned to Nancy in 1876. Extremely conversant with innovation, he was also interested in the problems of urban development and social housing. We are particularly indebted to him for the Genin-Louis seed merchants (now a banking agency) in Rue Saint Jean in Nancy.
Eugène Vallin, cabinet maker, sculptor (1856-1922)
After the Ecole des Beaux Arts de Nancy, he was apprenticed in his uncle's carpentry firm, which he was to inherit in 1881. His first works were church furniture, but he soon became an Art Nouveau creator and artist under the influence of Gallé, for whom he made the door for his new workshops. It was in furniture that he was to become famous for producing to order: creating dining rooms and lounges for the dignitaries of Nancy: Eugène J.B. Corbin, Masson, Bergeret, Kronberg... In 1901 he became vice-president of the steering committee of the Alliance that became the Ecole de Nancy.
Adrien Recouvreur, pharmacist, engraver (1858-1944)
One name regularly crops up here: that of pharmacist Adrien Recouvreur. In Nancy, he studied at the school of pharmacy before enrolling at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, where he got to know all those were to contribute to the success of the Ecole de Nancy. In Commercy, he notably sat on the Board of Directors of the Caisse d'Epargne. Thanks to him, the Board commissioned Victor Prouvé for the ceiling that adorns its meeting room. After selling his dispensary, he left Commercy for Angers, where he was appointed curator of the town's museum. On his death he bequeathed to the town of Commercy an important collection of works by the Ecole de Nancy, a small part of which is displayed in the Euville town hall.
Emile André, architect (1871-1933)
Another figure from the Ecole de Nancy, the architect Emile André, who regularly worked with Vallin, Prouvé and Gutton, built a villa very close to the "Villa des Roches" in the Saurupt park in Nancy. In contrast to the latter, this has retained its original proportions and has just been totally restored by its owners.
For all information on Art Nouveau in Nancy:http://www.ot-nancy.fr/uk/centre_historique/index.php